Wednesday, December 5, 2018

LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar Day 5

Another weird day in the Advent Calendar. Another build that I had to look up to see what it is. As much of a Star Wars geek that I am, I really only know the movies I through VII, plus Rogue One and the Han Solo movie. I don't know the animated ones, and totally don't know the video games, or that other weird one from Day 3, the animated series the name of which I cannot remember and don't feel like looking up.

So far, Day 3 and Day 5 (today) have required looking them up online, and Day 4 (yesterday) would have required a lookup except that I remembered the design from the large build set that LEGO made last year.

Day 5: Imperial Dry Cleaning Droid

No, not really, but it could be. Let's try that again:

Day 5: IG-88

Yep - that's right - IG-88, the droid bounty hunter from Episode V that everyone knows, and that I should have recognized, but didn't.

So yes, my above rant is somewhat justified, but not really. IG-88 is obscure to the layperson, but should not have been to me. Today was not a weird day at all - it was an appropriate day. A good day. Argh! I apologize if I lost some street cred with you on this. But in my defense, this is a much thinner and minimal version. LEGO has a difficult time with a lot of the droids because it has such a small set of possible pieces to use to make one, so they all end up looking the same except for color.

But in the case of IG-88, the head - definitely the same head as the real one. Crap. Dead giveaway, and I missed it.

So, excuses aside, this is me, failing. To think that was another weird build and part of LEGO's bizarre careening through the Star Wars universe was totally errant. Embarrassing. But I'm a pastor, so I'm willing to be embarrassed in public to show that we don't have to be perfect and that we can be honest and vulnerable about our limited abilities. Especially during Advent, as we await the One who came to remind us, as God had been trying to remind us for millennia, that it's okay to be imperfect. Even a self-identified Star Wars nut.

The gift for today is very cool. All bounty hunters in Star Wars are cool. I want a whole set of them now.

There is the Star Wars Bounty Hunter Speeder Bike set that has the four non-Boba bounty hunters (including an IG-88 with a different blaster), which might be worth buying just to have the four minifigures in it. I haven't gotten it because the speeder bike is ugly and I have no interest in it. But now that I have one version of an IG-88, and a few Boba Fetts, I feel kinda stupid for not having the others. I'll keep you posted if I decide to get it.

Speaking of getting things: I did go out today and get the Republic Fighter Tank, LEGO 75182, because I liked the Advent Calendar version so much. Got it for $20 at WalMart, which is $4.99 less than the LEGO store - and even with VIP points, buying anything for less than 95% of the store price is a win, or during double VIP points, anything less than 90%. Yeah, I know, WalMart, but I had a meeting with Prevent Suicide Chippewa Valley at the Goodwill next door, so popped in to check out what they might have had on sale. And getting it for 80% of list price? It's a win, even though my internal social justice warrior is disappointed in myself for supporting WalMart.


Pretty sweet!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please speak your truth in your comments, whatever it is, so long as you do so with integrity and honesty to yourself and your position, no matter how much you disagree with me or another poster. But also be peaceful and respectful or your comment will be deleted. Insulting and shouting is not dialogue, it's just shouting and insulting.