Thursday, December 12, 2019

Day 12 - 2019 LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar

Gosh, this year has been a good year for the Advent Calendar! The past couple years' had many disappointing days, but so far this year it's banging along quite nicely. There have been a few builds so far that weren't exciting, but nothing yet that's made me go "booooooo!"

Today's another grand day: minifigure!!



Splendid - Imperial Gunner!

Which now makes me think that my initial thought about yesterday's tower being a Death Star I turret is true - these guys were only seen on the Death Star I within the canon of Star Wars, so it makes sense that he's supposed to go with yesterday's build, and yesterday's build is supposed to go with this guy.

So that, I think, solves the mystery of the Day 11 build.

I think that even the first time I saw Star Wars Episode IV when I was a child (seeing the original run), I thought, "Gosh, those helmets seem unreasonably designed for comfort or functionality". But I also thought then, and still do, that they are wicked cool looking. And for the Empire, looking cool was also important - for enemies to see crazy uniforms like this, or weapons like an AT-AT, offers a psychological propaganda advantage, even as impractical and a waste of money as something like an AT-AT, or a helmet with a long-ass extension, would be.

Who cares. It's fiction and it's film, and looks and story must always take precedence over logic or sensibility.

Great build today! Makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please speak your truth in your comments, whatever it is, so long as you do so with integrity and honesty to yourself and your position, no matter how much you disagree with me or another poster. But also be peaceful and respectful or your comment will be deleted. Insulting and shouting is not dialogue, it's just shouting and insulting.