Friday, December 6, 2019

Day 6 - 2019 LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar

Today is a strange build. It's a Troop Transport - what we saw Princess Leia flying in in The Force Awakens.

The directions for the build that are printed on the inside of the doors was missing one piece, and I'd suggest that it was missing two of them.

After I got the thing built, I had six pieces left over. An unusually high number for a small build like this. One of those pieces (the 2x1 on the back of the ship) had no duplicate. It's really strange to have an extra piece in a LEGO set that is unique. But I figured out on my own that it goes on the back of the ship.

I'm also pretty sure that the diagram missed a 1x1 gray piece on the bottom of the build; since I had one of those pieces as an extra, I put it on. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

So I only have four pieces left over now, which you can see in the final photo.

It's a good resemblance to the Troop Transport made with 16 pieces, spo I give it props for that. But the Troop Transport is one of the ugliest designs in all of Star Wars. And yeah, I get it, within the films the Resistance is running out of resources and cobbling together stuff the best they can and we can't expect a shoestring resistance to have awesome looking ships.

BUT wait! Yes we can!

From a meta-level viewpoint, we can expect it - Lucas always wanted ships to have a "wow" factor, even if perhaps it didn't make sense either by way of physics or a logical consistency within the story. The designs were elegant and beautiful and designed with the viewer in mind, not so much the fictional people that would have to use them. I think this is one of numerous areas in which J.J. Abrams doesn't "get" Star Wars. I can't blame this design on him, because I don't know enough of what went on in the background to know who's choice this ultimately was, but since he's the guy in charge, he always had the option to nix it. It's a lackluster lazy design for a ship.

/offsoapbox

Would I have preferred a different ship than this one? Sure. But I'm still happy with this reduction of it. I think the ship actually looks cooler in this reduced version than the real one does.

Here's the build:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please speak your truth in your comments, whatever it is, so long as you do so with integrity and honesty to yourself and your position, no matter how much you disagree with me or another poster. But also be peaceful and respectful or your comment will be deleted. Insulting and shouting is not dialogue, it's just shouting and insulting.